Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday, July 14: Definitions.

Some definitions to help you all understand how I'm feeling these days, followed by explanation of how every example relates to my life. 


Main Entry: 1busy 
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-zē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): busi·erbusi·est
Etymology: Middle English bisy, from Old English bisig; akin to Middle Dutch & Middle Low German besich busy
Date: before 12th century
1 a : engaged in action : occupied b : being in use 
2 : full of activity : bustling 
3 : foolishly or intrusively active : 
meddling
4 : full of distracting detail 


Yes, I'm engaged in a lot of action these days. My plover rough cut is due Friday and I'm not done filming until Thursday afternoon.
I'm also very full of activity, editing. 
I'm foolishly thinking about work all of the time and it's intrusively meddling in my everyday life. 
MY LIFE IS DISTRACTING DETAIL. Unless referring to design. Then it's simple and clean.

Main Entry: 1pres·sure 
Pronunciation: \ˈpre-shər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latinpressura, from Latin, action of pressing, pressure, from pressus, past participle of premere
Date: 14th century

1 a : the burden of physical or mental distress b : the constraint of circumstance : the weight of social or economic imposition
2 : the application of force to something by something else in direct contact with it : compression
3 archaic : impressionstamp
4 a : the action of a force against an opposing force b : the force or thrust exerted over a surface divided by its area c : electromotive force
5 : the stress or urgency of matters demanding attention : exigency 
6 : the force of selection that results from one or more agents and tends to reduce a population of organisms  
7 : the pressure exerted in every direction by the weight of the atmosphere
8 : a sensation aroused by moderate compression of a body part or surface


I'm definitely feeling mental distess. I'm feeling the constraints of MY ROUGH CUTS ARE DUE VERY SOON, which is the circumstance driving my brain to work. This pressure is applying force to me; the pressure is mainly external and I know that if things go horribly, terribly wrong, I'll be OK and be able to work it out. I have a lot of things demanding my attention, thank goodness I work well under pressure. I'm finding it hard for #6 to apply to me, but my plovers feel predation pressure! #8 doesn't make much sense in the current context either. 



Main Entry: thrill 
Pronunciation: \ˈthril\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English thirlen, thrillen to pierce, from Old English thyrlian, from thyrel hole, from thurh through — more atthrough
Date: 1592
transitive verb1 a : to cause to experience a sudden sharp feeling of excitement ed him> b : to cause to have a shivering or tingling sensation
2 : to cause to vibrate or tremble perceptiblyintransitive verb1 : to move or pass so as to cause a sudden wave of emotion
2 : to become thrilled: a : to experience a sudden sharp excitement b :tinglethrob 

Every time I think about what I've done and what I will be doing this summer, I feel a sudden, sharp feeling of excitement and have a shivering or tingling sensation. Once and awhile, when I think about the Torngats, I feel like I'm vibrating with the excitement of it all. I definitely feel the sudden wave of emotion; the kind that starts up your spine and works its way into the back of your neck to nestle there and remind you of why you're feeling the emotion. My belly tingles when I think about the feeling of having movies that I created up on youtube. 


There you have it. How I'm feeling, in a nutshell. It's hard to blog when my brain won't turn into blog mode and off editing mode. Sorry for the boldedness. Ugly, but effective to separate thought from dictionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment