Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday, June 5: Floored.

Holy moly.
Today I had a simple assignment: cover the plaque unveiling of Mona Wilson as a Canadian Historical Person of Interest. Little did I know it was going to be more than I bargained for.

I follow Minister of Environment Jim Prentice on Twitter, so when I saw he tweeted he was on Prince Edward Island, I hoped he would stop by the ceremony so I could see him. Well, I recieved a little more than that.

The superintendent of the Field Unit came up to me and said that Jim Prentice wanted to meet me. Internalizing my girly squeals of delight, I followed, and there he was. He shook my hand and asked me about the job. Then Minister Prentice, Ben and I took a walk around the building to find a nice spot to sit for a photo opp for "the website" (What website?). On the way back, we talked the worst summer jobs we've ever had. He said coal miner. I said fish plant. Ben said Waste Management. There wasn't a clear winner.

I thought that was great. I was elated. I could barely wait to get home to blog that I got to meet him. Little did I know, I'd have a bit more to brag about. Minister Prentice mentioned me in his ceremony speech! He talked about the process to get the job, and then he introduced me. People clapped, I blushed. That's generally the way it works for me. I spent the rest of my time recording the ceremony walking on clouds.

Of course, I MEANT to get a photo of Minister Prentice giving his speech, but after the events that took place, it was the furthest thing from my mind (I do have it on video, though). Here's a few photos of the plaque unveiled.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment